About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Monday, February 8, 2016

Get'n Sexy with the Curvy Girls #RomanceNovels

-->
Passionate about Plus-Size Romance
a guest post by Lynn Cooper 
I’ve been asked the same question many times since releasing Cupcake Cutie—the first of eight books in my Plus Size Romance Series: “Lynn, why are you so passionate about this?” The answer is both simple and complex.  Simply, after much research, I found that my beloved romance genre is sorely lacking stories that feature plus-size heroines.  Additionally, many of the stories out there feature curvy girls who are written with crippling insecurities and poor body images.  I feel it’s important to have smart and sexy, sweet and sassy, fierce and funny heroines who just happen to be full-figured gals.  Even sadder were the stories where the plot centered around a heavyset heroine needing to reduce her weight in order to get the hero.  I was shocked to find that is a common theme of many curvy-girl romances.  No woman should have to change her appearance or a number on the scale to be loved and desired.  That’s where the hot, hunky men in my books come into play.  I write the kind of heroes who are perfectly capable and more than willing to take on a full-figured female.  Men who desire women who can fill their hearts and their hands.

The more complex answer involves my desire to provide a self-accepting, self-loving environment for my female readers to escape into.  Over the past year, I have noticed a great deal of media attention being paid to body shaming.  No one is immune; everyone—from high school students to talented actresses and spectacular singers—is preyed upon.  The last place a woman should experience body shaming is between the covers of a romance novel.  Unfortunately, despite our evolvement as a people and a society, there is still a great deal of stigma attached to being overweight.  This is especially true for women.  Everything in our world measures our beauty by the size of our waists or the width of our hips or the thickness of our thighs.  Everywhere we look we see waif-thin models on magazine covers, in television commercials and on the fashion runways of Paris.  Worst of all, we find them on the majority of the covers of our romance novels.  As a writer and an avid reader of all romance subgenres, I, too, bought into the fantasy of the perfectly-proportioned heroine.  Although there is nothing wrong with having slender female characters, I think it’s important to have heroines that “real” women can relate to.  Fantasy is nice, but being able to see yourself as a part of that fantasy is truly special. 

It is with excitement and eagerness that I write these magnificent, full-figured, plus-size gals.  They purposely don’t fit the supermodel-thin stature of most romance heroines.  But don’t be fooled; their size is secondary.  My series focuses on romance, relationships and the human condition.  Each book is full of humorous and lighthearted scenarios.  Of course it wouldn’t be steamy romance without intense, electrified love scenes, and there are plenty of those as well.  It’s the mixture of hot love scenes and humor that makes me proudest.  I liken my prose to a chef who hits on the right combination of ingredients, producing a delectable, succulent, palate-pleasing dish.  That’s what I feel like I do. I sift together heartwarming, stimulating romance; a beautiful, funny heroine; a strong, hunky hero who adores his woman just the way she is.  I bake it all up into a true feel-good read that leaves my readers feeling great!

Author Bio:
Lynn Cooper grew up in a small town in South Carolina with big dreams of becoming a ventriloquist.  She ordered her first and last dummy from a Sears catalog.  It didn’t take her long to realize that she was never going to be able to talk without moving her lips.
She got married at the age of twenty-three and worked for a decade in the health field as a surgical technologist and later as a dental assistant.  When she grew tired of looking at people’s innards, she decided to give writing a try.  As it turns out, she’s pretty good at it.
Lynn lives to write plus-size romance.  It is her greatest desire to create stories that entertain and provide a sensual escape for all the amazing women who need one.

Author Links:


2 comments:

  1. Love these books. Great to see you here, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a subgenre that is needed out there! Great to see this post.

    ReplyDelete