About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Friday, January 29, 2016

Love from the Other Side #ParanormalActivity


Love never dies. What does that mean? Before my husband's death, we'd never experienced paranormal activity at our home. In fact, it would be fair to say that I was a skeptic. Ghost? C'mon. Get real.

Be careful what you ask for--things got real, real fast after he died. Almost immediately after his death, my phone would ring with static at the other end. I would be away from home and see that the caller I.D. was that of my home office. A chill would come over me and I'd quickly disconnect. Either someone had broken into my house or someone--something--was calling me from the other end.

I told a few people about this only to see their eyes widen. I could almost hear their thoughts, "Oh, she's so consumed with grief she's imagining phone calls from 'the other side.' It didn't matter that I could show them proof on my caller ID. So I started keeping the experiences to myself, even though my curiosity had definitely been ignited.

Then things intensified when I cleaned out the closet to remove Sean's clothes--it disturbed me seeing them there as if waiting for him to walk in and get dressed. So I boxed things up and gave some away.

But then the unexplained activity started feeling aggressive or more insistent. I'd see a shadow figure that looked exactly like my late husband's upper torso looming at the edge of the bed. There would be knocks on the window with no one there. The dogs would growl at...nothing. I'd wake up all tucked in beneath my covers as if someone lovingly wanted to keep me warm. I would have vivid dreams where he'd sit and talk with me about the day just like he used to do…and when I woke up, my skin would tingle where I felt he'd touched me.

Fuses kept being blown with no explanation. Not just minor ones either, but major high voltage ones that controlled our water pump for the well. It happened again and again...no one could find a reason why. It was as if the energy in the house had gone wild with no explanation.

Ghosts became a fascination for me. I started watching paranormal investigations on television, reading whatever I could on the subject, and eventually met with a psychic who validated the experiences I'd had in my home.

Again, despite the personal experiences with the unexplained, I was skeptical and somewhat guarded with the psychic. I didn't give her any background information on me at all and went to the appointment with hope on one hand and a "what the hell am I doing now" attitude in the other.

One of the first things she said to me was, "He left energy behind, trapped energy that's causing fuses to blow." 

I froze. Seriously?

Then she smiles and says, "He's a bit of a smartass, isn't he? Your husband? He didn't mean to kill himself. He's sorry. He didn't want to leave you or the kids. He wasn't thinking right." 

At this point I start crying. I hadn't told her about the fuses, the weird calls, the knocks, the shadows, none of it. I hadn't even told her that I was widowed.

"He likes it when you talk to him in the closet," she said.

I talked to him when I was in there putting away clothes...

"He wants you to know he loves you and that he checks in with you when he can. He wants you to be happy."

I left that appointment shaking and silent. I still wasn't sure about any of it--but at this point I wasn't a published author yet and it wasn't so easy to google my life story. So how did she know?

What did I know? What do any of us really know about the after life and what happens? I'd heard my husband's last breath--watched the light go from his eyes. The moment is burned into my mind. I'd felt the change of energy in the house and in my soul.

I truly believe that love never dies. It transcends time, perhaps becomes another energy that surrounds those of us who survive. Death is not the end of our existence, merely a transition. My curiosity has only grown since these experiences. The paranormal activity in the house has subsided for the most part--compared to those first days and months after his death, it is quiet here now. Peaceful.

I went to a different psychic again last year at a psychic fair for different reasons, even wore my wedding rings because, in the back of my mind, I know there are true psychics and some who are most likely con artists. Again, I said the bare minimum about my life, just sat down in the chair and grinned, and the first thing she says is, "Your husband is sitting next to you. He's really proud of you...and he wants you to know you are exactly where you are supposed to be, doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing." 

Explain that? I hadn't even voiced my question or said one word beyond, "hello."

Cue the XFiles music...

Have you ever had a paranormal experience with a loved one who has passed on? I'd love to hear about it.

Something to think about...
Amber Lea Easton
http://www.amberleaeaston.com
 

Amber Lea Easton is a multi-published author of romantic thrillers, contemporary romance, women's fiction, and nonfiction. She also writes five different blogs, volunteers for children's literacy, and advocates for suicide awareness. In addition, she is a professional editor and mother of two extraordinary human beings. She currently lives in a small cabin high in the Rocky Mountains where she is completely aware of how lucky she is. To find out more about her books, please visit http://www.amberleaeaston.com


1 comment:

  1. Absolutely fascinating! I, too, was skeptical about such things. Until I had some experiences I still can't explain. It changes you. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete