About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Saturday, January 4, 2014

You ARE good enough just as you are. #inspiration #asmsg

Perhaps it's my age or life experience, but I simply don't compare myself to anyone else anymore. Lately, I've been hearing a lot of people I know express feelings of "not good enough." Why? Because someone else is living their dream, or buying the beach house, or upgrading their car, or selling more books (I hang with the writing crowd), or losing weight, or getting remarried, or WHATEVER.

Stop. Don't get caught up on that merry-go-round of "not good enough."

Each of us came into this world with our own soul's purpose. We are here to live our life, not someone else's.

It's not your fault that you may feel this way at times. It's not really a "fault" at all, more of a tragedy. You see, we live in a culture where we're inundated with advertisements created by marketing masters who know how to trigger desire. They tell us that we're successful if we're driving the latest car or using the most advanced technology. It's their job. They get paid a lot of money to make us want.

But don't give in to the illusion that your income, your house, your car, your weight, your wrinkles, your contentment is somehow wrong if it doesn't jive with the facade others present to the world. As long as you are being true to yourself and are happy, then screw whatever someone else thinks. Your life is yours for the living! Don't waste it comparing sales figures, wrinkles, waist sizes, or anything else that involves a shallow measurement of success.

I define success this way: being able to do whatever I want, when I want, and how I want. In other words, "living on my own terms." MY definition of success is not up for debate and is not how I expect yours to be. It is mine. I struggle sometimes because I choose this way of life. I falter and wallow and get frustrated…but when given the choice of living another way, I realize that I'm living my dream. When someone chooses to go after their dreams, life provides a whole set of unexpected challenges. There are easier paths, but none of them would make me feel as fulfilled as I do now.

My grandfather was one of the best human beings I ever knew. To this day, I remember his kind blue eyes and easy laugh. He had money but lived simply. He loved the land. He loved his family. I think of him as one of the most successful people I have ever met--and not because of any material item. He lived fully, laughed loudly, and loved completely. That's a legacy I'd like to leave.

You are good enough just as you are. That doesn't mean you can't have goals and ambition; it means that right now in this moment you are good enough and deserve your own respect and love. Whatever life has brought you, it has made you the incredible person you are now. That's awesome! Because you are good enough as you are, you can achieve whatever you choose…even if it's the simple contentment of knowing you raised great children or the peace of sitting in your backyard watching a sunset. That's the point. It's your life; you decide how you want to live it.

No matter how much money you make, someone will always make more. No matter how much wrinkle cream you use, someone will always be younger. No matter how great of a car you drive, someone will always have one just a wee bit better. Is that really how you want to live your life?

Don't misunderstand--I like nice things, but I don't live for them. I don't compare mine to yours. It's irrelevant. Stop looking over the fence and concentrate on your own yard!

Now hug yourself because you are worthy of all the love you have in your heart.

Peace to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment