About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Life is Shifting a guest post by Donna McDine #SEP #ASMSG #YA


Time is such an elusive concept. We never seem to have enough of it, often take it for granted, and usually waste more of it than we should. Today's guest author talks about her own experiences with time and asks us to share our own thoughts in the comments below.  

Life is Shifting by Donna McDine

When I was a little girl I remember a distinct conversation I had with my Nana. She was babysitting me and my siblings for a long weekend one summer while my parents took the opportunity to slip away for an adult weekend. It was right before school started back up again and I remember complaining the summer vacation went way too fast. Her response was, “Dear this is nothing, just you wait till you get older and you have a family of your own. The years will fly by with the snap of a finger.” Boy was she ever right.

My husband and I have two daughters. The eldest is 18 and started college three weeks ago and the youngest is 15 and is embarking on her sophomore year. The shift in dynamics in our house, like so many other homes across the nation certainly takes on a different feel when a child leaves for college. I have had the privilege of working from home for over 16 years as a virtual assistant along with my writing, which has afforded me the opportunity to be home for my girls when they arrived home from school each day. I truly have cherished this chance and continue to do so.

At our daughter’s high school graduation party I read the following to her:

Dearest Nicole,
I never believed Nana when she said over 30 years ago in reply to a statement I made about how time is going by so quickly. She said, “Dear this is nothing, just you wait till you get older and you have a family of your own.”
Boy is this ever true. It feels like yesterday when Daddy and I brought you home from the hospital. All 6 lbs 15 ozs and you fit from dad’s fingertips to his elbow. Now you stand before us a beautiful and confident young woman.
Look around you today as you get ready to embark on this new chapter in your life. The many people gathered here today and those unable to attend love you dearly.
From the time you were born, we always said “We love you up to the stars and beyond” whether whispering it to you, writing it in cards or notes in your school lunches. Your success is imminent as you get ready to take FIT and NYC by storm. May you always be true to yourself as you explore and achieve your greatest expectations of success.
Thank you for giving us the privilege of being your parents. We love you up to the stars and beyond!
Love,
Mom, Dad and Hayley


I’d enjoying hearing how your life has changed through the years. For each of our experiences are uniquely our own.

Thank you for visiting with me today. 


About the Author: 

Donna McDine is an award-winning children’s author, Honorable Mention in the th and two Honorable Mentions in the 78th Annual Writer’s Digest Writing Competitions, Literary Classics Silver Award & Seal of Approval Recipient Picture Book Early Reader, Readers Favorite 2012 International Book Awards Honorable Mention, Global eBook Awards Finalist Children’s Picture Book fiction, and Preditor & Editors Readers Poll 2010 Top Ten Children’s Book ~The Golden Pathway.

Her stories, articles and book reviews have been published in over 100 print and online publications. Her interest in American History resulted in writing and publishing The Golden Pathway. Donna’s recent releases of Powder Monkey and Hockey Agony will be joined by two more books to be published by Guardian Angel Publishing, A Sandy Grave, and Dee and Deb, Off They Go. She writes, moms and is a personal assistant from her home in the historical hamlet Tappan, NY. McDine is a member of the SCBWI, Children’s Literature Network and Family Reading Partnership.


You can find out more about Donna McDine, her books and World of Ink Author/Book Tour at http://tinyurl.com/3tv4jgf

A glimpse of her book Hockey Agony...

Peer Pressure and Honesty many times go hand-in-hand.  What is Larry to do when his teammate asks him to cheat when he is given the responsibility to run the clock during the big hockey game?  Outwardly, it may seem he will follow suit, but his conscious tells him otherwise at the moment of truth.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience about sending a daughter off to college. My oldest is entering her senior year so that particular life event is looming on my horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amber,

    Thank you for hosting me during my virtual book tour. It's a pleasure to be here! Hectic you of exciting events I'm sure are on the horizon for your daughter. Congratulations to her her pending high school graduation.

    All the best,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete