About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dakota Girl

I love how the Universe works.  Whenever I start to get caught up in a story about who I am...or who I'm not...that's been created by another, the Universe tosses me a reminder of my personal truth.

This weekend, my daughter's boyfriend (rolling my eyes at that, followed by a heavy sigh) came up to the house to hang out.  Well...at least he tried.  We live in the foothills above Denver, but it's not too tricky to get here.  With the logic of a 16 year old, he turned on an unplowed mountain road that is currently undeveloped (no one lives there, in other words).  He calls and says he's stuck in a bunch of snow.

Umm...we've had warm weather for the past few days...nothing but blue skies, sunshine and dry roads.

Out we go to find the lost boy.

Wow, was he stuck.  Not only was he on a road that isn't maintained because, like I said, he was in an undeveloped neighborhood where no one lives yet, but the packed snow was layered with ice.  Big trouble.  Even though my SUV was in 4-wheel drive, the wheels started spinning.  All I could think of as I drove about a mile into this mess was, "Why exactly did he keep going?  Couldn't he tell no one has driven here since BEFORE the snowfall? Idiot city boy."

Well, I got out with a snow shovel, some ice melt (which we happened to have in the car because we'd been at the store earlier), and a tow rope.  I surveyed the situation and shook my head.  Suddenly, flashbacks of all the times I'd been stuck with my idiot high school friends from South Dakota danced in my mind.  I started smiling.

After some false starts with the towing and a helluva lot of digging, we managed to get a bit more stuck, but in a more tilted, more frustrating way.  At this point, I heard myself say, "Listen, I'm a Dakota Girl, I know what to do."  I had the confused teens go dig up some dirt and gravel from an empty lot and toss it under the tires.  Then I got behind the wheel of the city boy's car, told the kiddos to get the hell out of my way, and drove that baby free.  Snow flew in every direction, wheels spun, engine of the old car squealed,  the car spun in a cookie, came close to some trees but...it was FREE!

Damn, that was fun.

The kids stared at me, mouths agape and stunned at my brilliant driving skills (uh-hem).  I laughed, got out of the car, gave city boy the keys and said, "I used to be kind of badass as a teenager in South Dakota."

And you know what?  Down deep, I'm still a badass Dakota Girl who "gets the job done, baby." No one can ever tell me that I am less than what I know I am or try to hold me back from being the big personality that I am.  Whether I'm going to a film festival in Denver or towing a city boy on a mountain road, I'm proud of the woman I am.

I'm still laughing at the looks on those teenagers' face when I got out of that car.  Damn, that was fun.

4 comments:

  1. funny story, you rock

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the story, Amber! Of course you would use your homegrown SD common sense and ingenuity to get that car out. I had to laugh while reading it as my daughter had some friends stop to pick her up one night - a car load of teenage girls driving in the winter...scary. Anyway, they backed away from the garage and happened to go just a little too far down a slope and hit ice. They could do nothing but spin. We all tried pushing (of course not a male source of strength to be found!). We couldn't get it up that tiny little hill. I stood back, looked at the situation and thought about it. I then marched into the garage and got a couple doormats. We put one under each front tire and voila!-the car went smoothly up the slope. The girls were in awe of my ingenuity and were happy to be on their way. I give thanks to my parents for my common sense upbringing!
    Your cuz' Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEA Dakota Girl!! Growing up in South Dakota has all kinds of advantages!!! Way to go Amber..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your story Amber! It made me smile and laugh out loud. Yes, we are pretty tough here in the Dakota's.

    ReplyDelete