About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Making friends with chaos

Lately, every day brings me a new adventure.  I swear I'm giving new meaning to flying by the seat of my pants.  A few years ago, I engraved the saying, "chaos is a friend of mine" on the back of my iPod---maybe that was a bad idea as it seems to have been a self-fulfilling prophesy!

My novel, Kiss Me Slowly, had been slated to be released in November.  Then it got bumped up by three weeks, which is a good thing.  I'm not complaining.  However, in typical Amber-style, the email from my publisher notifying me of this change got lost in the mayhem of Yahoo in-box organization.  If it weren't for my editor's "happy release day" comment, I would have missed my own book launch!  

Over the past few years, I've grown accustomed to twists and turns.  I usually wake up and immediately think, "gee, I wonder what's gonna happen today." I've gotten in the habit of saying, "it looks like lunch on Friday will work out, but I'll call you if something comes up."  To know me is to know everything is subject to change at the last minute.  Accept it or don't, but that's just how it is.  Some people can't handle my in-flux lifestyle.  Some people have gone so far as to say my constant changing is "suspicious".  (That's my way of acknowledging how I can annoy people with changing my mind and my plans on a whim.)

In my last blog post, Uncharted, I talked about how hard it is to embrace change sometimes.  It is.  I still feel that way about major life events unfolding in ways that I wasn't prepared for--and often am scared when thinking about the ramifications of certain things. That's true.  It seems like I've developed an unintentional theme for my life:  chaos.  

I am slowly learning to embrace the flow--slowly! I'm starting to enjoy the unpredictability, actually.  It's fun, in a way, to be surprised at a change in events.  Everything--even a tragedy or a seemingly challenging situation--can lead you to something amazing if you're willing to allow yourself to be carried with the flow of the Universe and open yourself up to the possibilities of greatness.  It's a lesson that I'm learning--slowly.  Like it or not, that self-fulfilling prophesy is becoming reality:  chaos is a friend of mine. 




No comments:

Post a Comment