About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Spiking the ball

I started writing stories when I was nine years old.  I would sit in my bed and allow my imagination to come to life in tablets about horses, love (yeah, I was nine...but I tried to imagine), mystery, and I even wrote one about murderous ghosts (must have been puberty).

Along the way, people scoffed at my dream of being a writer full-time.  Dreamers don't make money, they said.  Nice hobby, they said.  Being a writer is like being an actress or singer, few people ever make it, they said.  As I grew up, it became even more derisive.  I started not admitting to writing manuscripts and "legitimized" myself with jobs that ranged from journalist to a registered representative at a national brokerage house (my dark period).  But I never stopped writing those stories. Never.

I felt like an addict--secretive for many years about how I spent my free time.  I attended writers' conferences like a spy heading off on a mission. Where are you going this weekend?  Um...San Diego.  For what?  Um...to hang out. (Okay, so I wouldn't have been a very good spy.)

Well, guess what?  I am a published author.  My first romantic suspense novel, Kiss Me Slowly, is being released in November 2011 via Siren-BookStrand Publishing.  It will be the first of many to come as I have others in the pipeline as I write this.

Do you know what it feels like to have a dream come to life?  To have that dream validated?  It feels like I caught the ball, scored the winning touchdown in the Superbowl and am doing my celebratory dance beneath the goal line--complete with shimmies and jazz hands, baby.

This is fun.  Perhaps I need to find a more profound word to describe what it's like to live out a dream, but right now fun describes it perfectly.  When did fun become a bad word anyway?  It's good to have fun. Isn't that the point? To enjoy life? To enjoy what you do?  To embrace the joy?

Well, I am enjoying myself and that's that.  Suck it up.  I deserve this.  I worked hard for it.  I never gave up when the rejection letters came.  I never gave up when people rolled their eyes at me.  I stayed in the game despite the odds.  Now I am having fun.  I love it.  I love that I get to consult on the cover.  I love that I have a publication timeline.  I love that my characters will get an opportunity to entertain someone for awhile.  I love that the story I created will make someone smile when they turn that last page.  That's fun stuff.  That's like waking up on Christmas morning and finding out that Santa is real!

Like it or not, I'm spiking the ball and enjoying a WIN.  How do you like my shimmy, baby?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, jiggle it and wiggle it, Moxie girl, spike the ball and have fun. What a fantastic word, fun, so simple like a child.

    That is what life is about, or should be. When the fun from our world starts to fade like the sun sinking behind a lonely mountain, this is a warning that we need to seek change.

    To be held down and chained to endless stress and disappointment, is unhealthy. When that happens it is time to blow the trumpet, rally the troops and fight.

    I am happy to hear, Amber, that you have finally realized your dream. You have a lovely, unique mind. I hope the novel sells well. And I also hope to be one of the first people to read it.

    ReplyDelete