About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Friday, July 16, 2010

The Summit

Yesterday the kids and I decided to go to Breckenridge for the afternoon. Normally, the trip takes less than hour, but we decided to take a rustic route over Boreas Pass. In certain areas, the dirt road is wide enough for only one car with a sheer 1000 foot drop off to one side and a rock face on the other. Unforgiving terrain.

As we neared the summit, we saw patches of snow and my son wanted to hike up there. Ben ran up the hill while I walked. Slowly. At nearly 12,000 feet above sea level, I gasped for breath while he raced upward. But we made it to the snow.

After sliding and stomping around in the white stuff, Ben looked at me and said, "I'm so glad we took this way, mom. The road is a little scary, but look at how far we can see. It's almost like we can touch the sky."
We hung out up there for awhile and took in the view. Remnants of old mining shacks line Boreas Pass and we were lucky enough to see the crumbling foundation of one not far from us.  If we hadn't taken the scary, unpredictable road, we wouldn't have had that experience together. We would have still made it to Breckenridge, yes; but we wouldn't have stomped around in snow in July, hung out near the summit on the Continental Divide, or shared that moment together.

Yes, there is the saying about taking the road less traveled, but that sometimes seems so exhausting. It is exhausting. For some of us, we were sent on a life path we never intended and the going has been precarious if not down right terrifying. But when we catch our breath, appreciate how far we have come and realize we are standing where few others have ever stood, we can enjoy the view and celebrate our climb. 
Being on the top of a mountain is like touching the sky.  Taking a precarious road brings life into sharp focus. Pay attention, slow down or risk going off the edge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment