About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Monday, July 5, 2010

Lessons learned from Lisa

An uncomfortable fluttering stirs in my chest.  My foot taps nervously beneath my desk.  I feel a determination coming from deep within that making me even more contemplative than usual.

I attended my friend Lisa's funeral this past Saturday here in Denver.  At only 41, she lived a life full of laughter and love.  Three hundred people attended her funeral, a tribute to her incredible spirit that profoundly touched us all.  She died an incredibly painful and untimely death; but she never gave up fighting to live or surrendered her optimism.  As I watched the video that summed up her life---or tried to---I realized how terribly I will miss her and how deeply she touched my soul.  

Life lessons Lisa taught me during our friendship:
  • Life is too precious to waste doing anything you truly don't want to do.  
  • If you want something, go out there and get it.  Don't let anyone or anything stop you.
  • Health is wealth.  Take care of yourself and stop making excuses. Now.  
  • Love is all that matters.  Love your family, love your friends, love yourself.  
  • Practice kindness and gratitude in every moment, no matter how challenging that moment is.  
  • Laugh as often as possible.
  • Be spontaneous.  
  • Never settle for less because you deserve to live the best life.   
  • No obstacle is too big to tackle.  
  • Always think "yes, I can" even when the odds are against you.
  • Dance and sing out loud as often as possible.
  • Seize opportunity without second-guessing yourself.
  • Cherish each one of the people in your life and let them know it.  
From now on when I feel stuck or challenged or frustrated, I am going to ask myself, "what would LDW do?"  And then I am going to do it. I am going to live life as fully as possible because I am able and I deserve it.  Lisa was denied her opportunity to continue living the life she loved so dearly.  I will not be denied.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to read of the loss of your good friend Lisa. Her life is forever etched and woven into the fabric of yours and everyone she touched. It is also a wake-up call to live our own lives with more respect, honor and fulfillment, isn't it.

    As you say, dance and sing out loud. Cherish the new songs and phases of life that lie ahead in your own path as you pick up the torch; live on...Chiquitita.

    slt

    ReplyDelete