About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Dancing Queen

Dressed in 70's clothes, wigs and feather boas, two friends and I walked up the ramp at Red Rocks Amphitheater for an ABBA tribute concert.  Our four inch high-heeled boots clomped against stone as we danced under the stars singing as loud as humanly possible while laughing as our sequined and feather covered arms swayed toward the sky.  That was three summers ago.  Now Lisa, who sang the loudest and danced the wildest of us all, has passed away at only 41.

For almost two years, she battled against one complication after another as she struggled to defeat aplastic anemia.  She always believed she would get her life back. She never once surrendered hope.  She always tried to make those around her happy and kept her sense of humor despite intense pain.  I know she is now at peace.

Today I listen to ABBA and remember Lisa's excitement for life.

Why does it always seem to take tragedy to make people say things like, "I should have taken more time to meet her for lunch" or "I should have called more often"?  I am saying these things today.  I wish I would have stopped in more often these past few months instead of always rushing to one thing or another.  But I didn't.  And I know Lisa of all people would be the last to judge.  She wanted people to live their lives, to cherish their moments with their families, to embrace the day.

If you are healthy, celebrate that today.  If your kids are healthy, celebrate that today.  Hell, if you are alive, celebrate that today.  Your bank balance doesn't matter; it can turn around.  Your small arguments with someone don't matter; you will regret the anger if they are gone tomorrow.  Stop what you are doing and listen to yourself breathe. You are alive.  Celebrate that today.

In honor of Lisa, I will wrap this up with lyrics from Chiquitita by ABBA.  Celebrate your lives, everyone!


Chiquitita, tell me what's wrong

you're enchained by

your own sorrow

in your eyes

there is no hope for tomorrow

how I hate to see you like this

there is no way you can deny it

I can see that you're

oh so sad, so quiet



Chiquitita, tell me the truth

I'm a shoulder you can cry on

your best friend

I'm the one you must rely on

you were always sure of yourself

now I see you've broken a feather

I hope we can

patch it up together



Chiquitita

you and I know

how the heartaches

come and they go

and the scars they're leavin'

you'll be dancin' once again

and the pain will end

you will have no time for grievin'

Chiquitita

you and I cry

but the sun is still in the sky

and shining above you

let me hear you sing once more

like you did before

sing a new song

Chiquitita

try once more

like you did before

sing a new song

Chiquitita



So the walls came tumblin' down

and your love's a blown out candle

all is gone and it seems

too hard to handle

Chiquitita, tell me the truth

there is no way you can deny it

I see that you're

oh so sad, so quiet



Chiquitita

you and I know

how the heartaches

come and they go

and the scars they're leavin'

you'll be dancin' once again

and the pain will end

you will have no time for grievin'

Chiquitita

you and I cry

but the sun is still in the sky

and shining above you

let me hear you sing once more

like you did before

sing a new song

Chiquitita

try once more

like you did before

sing a new song

Chiquitita


No comments:

Post a Comment