About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Keeping the faith

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded."--Ralph Waldo Emerson  

There are few moments in life that truly humble me and bring me to tears.  I experienced one of those moments this weekend at my daughter's confirmation.  On Sunday, Briahna stood in front of her confirmation class, the pastor, friends and family to confirm her faith by saying that I am the one who shows her what faith is.  With her voice breaking at times and the microphone shaking in her hand, she said that I have taught her to believe in herself and that I have shown her how to have faith through tough times.  She said that she looks at me to know that everything will be okay and knows that I will always be there for her in life, which is why I am an example of faith.  I felt incredibly humbled at such a declaration.  I didn't quite know what to do so I did what any mother would---cried and reached for some tissue.

Surrounding this beautiful moment, I received snide comments from a PTA mom because I didn't volunteer at the school this year, consoled my son who was cussed out at a lacrosse game by an ego maniac, defended my struggle to start my career over and debated whether or not the house should be put up for sale this summer.  But instead of dwelling on all of that, I hold onto the moment when my daughter--the 13 almost 14 year old drama queen--said out loud in public that I am her example of having faith and being strong.  Hearing those words makes all of the rest fall into perspective.

My children know the journey we have taken.  They know that I used to volunteer often in the past and even home schooled when I needed to do what was best for my family.  Ben knows that I have his back with lacrosse coaches and that I choose my battles rather than go into full-out war mode at every incident.  They know that circumstances have changed over the years, but I'm doing the best I can.  And that's all I ask from them--that they do the best they can despite what life throws their way.  

Faith is often hard, as is hope.  But I have discovered that life is much better believing not only in a Higher Power, but in having faith in yourself to survive whatever comes your way.  With faith comes hope for a better tomorrow.  We need both to get through each day.

I have faith that my daughter will surpass and outshine me in her life.  I often look at both of my kids in awe for what they have come through and how genuinely kind they are as human beings.  Maybe my career isn't as stellar yet as I'd hoped it would have been or perhaps my bank account has taken a beating this past year, but I have succeeded.  There is no doubt that I have succeeded.

2 comments:

  1. It's nice seeing beautiful moments coming to the forefront more and more again. Onward to a great summer!

    slt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, SLT! Onward and upward! Enjoy the sunshine where you are. Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete