About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Monday, February 1, 2010

Huh? What?

This is the age of distraction.  Between Facebook, Twitter, iPhone gadgets, Wii, and other distractions that are too numerous to name, it's amazing I get any work done at all.  And sometimes I don't.  


As the Queen of Avoidance, I prefer planting virtual pineapple on my virtual island on Facebook instead of paying bills or cleaning my house.  Even if I really don't care about what people are doing every second of the day, I log into Facebook and find myself liking people's status about making cupcakes when I could be...well, making cupcakes myself. And this is a problem.  


Let me say that I love my games and distractions as much as anyone; but I have realized how all of these technological advances have affected my life.  I used to spend more time outside.  To entertain the kids, I would take them bike riding or to the park.  I was active.  My family was active.  Now...although we always seem to be busy...it simply isn't the same.  


I am too connected to the world at large.  I miss the days when I would leave the house and no one could get in touch with me until I arrived home.  If there was an emergency, by some miracle I could always be found.  My life functioned very well without email, social networking, text messaging or cell phones.  Now I am compulsive about checking messages and nearly have a panic attack if I forget my phone at home.  


There is something wrong with that.  Somewhere along the line I became a slave to technology instead of being the master of my own time.  This technology is supposed to make life easier--and it does--but there is a point where the ease becomes an easy way out of actually living life.  Life is messy.  Technology is sleek.  The temptation is clear and understandable.  


I need to unplug for awhile, even if it is one day a week without any technological distractions.  No texting (I'm already chewing my knuckles with that idea).  No checking Facebook.  No tweeting!  I can do it.  One day to play outside or play air hockey with the kids---face-to-face interaction only.  So that is what I am going to do.  I am going to pick one day every week to go off the grid.  Maybe I'll bump it up to two days a week--an entire weekend---where the only people who talk to me are the people making eye-contact with me.  


Wow.  Lofty goals, I have.  I had better tweet this!  Where's my phone?  



2 comments:

  1. I find it rather amusing that people don't 'get' that I don't use a cell phone (although I do have one under wraps for real 911 emergencies) – and that doesn't mean calling ahead for Chinese.

    It seems you're starting to get it.

    Now with that said, you should check out storypassers.com -- :oP

    slt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I totally get it. It's always oddly liberating to go an entire day without turning on my computer....but it's extremely rare since I work daily on it! But, I think it's important to "drop off" sometimes....and just....be.

    No pressure, no dinging, beeping or tweets.

    Just.....be.

    ReplyDelete