About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Friday, February 12, 2010

First Crush Rush

Valentine's Day is right around the corner and I can't help but smile.  Memories of "all the men who've gone before" (sorry, Willy) bring out the grins and the heavy sighs.  Ah, love, it's not as complicated as we make it out to be.  Boy loves girl.  Girl loves boy.  Simple, or at least it is before we over-think it. And the simplest form of love for me was that rush of the first crush...way back when.


As a parent of two middle school aged children, I am watching them awaken to the concept of love.  It seems like only yesterday that I was taking them to tumble tots and now I am talking to them about crushes. I haven't figured out how they are aging while I remain timeless--I guess that's some kind of miracle--but the reality is that my little boy and my little girl are not so little anymore.  


Briahna, my 13 year-old, is firmly on Team Edward, giggles wildly over Zac Efron, freaks out about her hair every morning and rolls her eyes whenever a certain boy who shall remain nameless sends her a text message.  But it is that Oh-He-Is-So-Lame-He-Had-Better-Text-Me back kind of eye roll as she stares at the phone, foot tapping while attempting to look like she doesn't give a damn.


Ben, my 12 year-old, just had his first heart break.  A little 12 year-old girl broke up with him via email the night before his  surgery in January.  Oh the drama.  I never knew boys could have this kind of drama, too, but I am quickly learning that they do.  In fact, as a mother of a boy, I am learning more about men than marriage ever taught me.  And you know what?  My opinion of that gender is softening considerably because of it.


I remember my first 'real' crush.  His name was Steve and we were in 7th grade.  He was the first guy who made me blush, whose name I doodled on my notebooks and who gave me my first 'real' Valentine card.  Thinking of him now makes me smile because we were so young, so innocent and every little thing felt like the only thing that truly mattered.


No matter how many years pass or how many relationships I have, I will always remember that first awkward stumbling into the world of love beyond family relationships, the exploration into unchartered territory of human emotion.  And of course I will always remember the "Amber and Steve sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G" chant on the bus as we shyly sat together.


You just gotta love those first crush memories; school dances, cherry flavored lip gloss, uncertainty, wonder, and a real-honest-to-goodness Valentine card from that boy who thought you were worth being teased over.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry the type is off. I tried to fix it, but it keeps reverting back.

    ReplyDelete