About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Friday, February 5, 2010

Are You Calling Me Old?

Machu Picchu, Easter Island, Patagonia...I think of these places and sigh with longing.  I want to immerse myself in their mysteries and beauty.  I am addicted to shows like Anthony Bordain: No Reservations and The Amazing Race.  I soak up travel articles like a sponge trying to absorb as much as possible.

Fearful of turning into an armchair explorer, I revved myself up with research and printed out brochures on adventure travel.  I have a passport that's getting a little dusty.  Time to get moving and South America beckons. All fired up, my fingers flew over the keyboard looking at my options. Nothing was going to stop me from sweating in the rain forest and swatting mosquitos the size of birds.  Nothing.
And then I told someone my plan to go to Machu Picchu within the next year.  Bam.  Out came the doubts and the questions.  Didn't you hear about the recent mudslide?  Isn't that dangerous?  Isn't there camping involved?  Do you think you can handle that long hike?  Aren't you too old to take off to the rain forest, isn't that more of a 20-something trip?  Where will the kids be?  UGH!  The drain, the drag...and I want to tell everyone to shut-up.  Too old?  Out of shape?  Who do you think you're talking to?

Okay, so maybe I've gotten out of shape the past few years, but I am actively getting back in shape and making a lot of progress.  I'm working on it.  Yes, it's true I wear an ankle support when I run, but the fact is I am running!  Well, okay, I admit it's more of a run slash walk, but I am moving, baby.  And don't forget the Pilates.  If worse comes to worse, I can bend and twist my way out of a jam.
But...too old?  I refuse to accept that.  Okay...so maybe a few weeks ago a friend and I stood inside an elevator for about 5 minutes before either of us realized we weren't moving because we hadn't pushed the button.  Big deal.  And a while back I did run around doing errands for a full day before I realized my yoga pants were on inside-out.  So what?  Only my ego was harmed.  This does not mean I am old, merely distracted.  I don't see how this would impede my progress on the Incan trail.  There will be a guide, after all.  I am sure he or she will keep me focused and moving in the right direction.

Adventure travel is nothing new for me.  Maybe it's been a few years since I hiked the Mayan ruins of Lamanai in Belize, zip-lined over tree tops in Costa Rica or swam with sharks, but the spirit of adventure is still very strong in my heart.

What does age have to do with it?  And, by the way, I do not think 41 is old.  As I see it, I have at least another 40 years of adventure left in me.  Maybe I'll misplace more items along the way this time around or put my pants on inside-out, but that isn't reason enough to make me stay home.

Perhaps hiking the Incan trail in Peru isn't your idea of fun.  That's fine with me; but don't hold me back from my dream, even if it doesn't appeal to you in any way.  Keep your mouth shut and I'll do the same when you tell me of your dream of starting a boarding house for cats.
I reject the idea of 'too old'.  I reject the idea of 'impossible'.  Look at this amazing world in which we live and I will show you endless possibilities for enlightenment.  After Peru, I would love to take the kids to Argentina to see the towering waterfalls and the migrating butterflies.  Oh yes, and there is a city in Bolivia that makes chocolate, that should definitely be a side trip.  Maybe we'll get there, maybe we won't; but I am going to try.

I am a dreamer and proud of it.  And as a certified dreamer, I dream big.  Hear me?  When we stop dreaming, we die inside. I will never stop dreaming.  Even as I take my final breath, I will dream of the adventure yet to come.

Too old?  Never.

4 comments:

  1. Sweetie,
    The person who responded with all those doubts is a person who will never do much of anything exciting with their life!
    You DO realize this, no?
    You are as old as you FEEL...and you KNOW as well as I do that you are FAR from OLD!

    OLD is a frame of mind...like the person who worries about rain ruining their travel plans or who doesn't visit California 'cause there might be an earthquake!

    YOU GO...you DO. This is YOUR LIFE...and you're the one who gets to LIVE it.

    DAMMIT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just need to follow your heart...it's no big deal. You're not too old, you're not unhealthy, you're not out of shape. Goodness, even I've been to South America! Sure, gangs are alive and well in Peru, but gangs are everywhere in America, too, and as you know whether here or outside this country, you just need to use street smarts. I've had more near-misses in Denver (!) than in any other place on the face of the planet. So git outta town, girl! Send us a postcard.

    –slt

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are issues when people travel to the US...(if that makes sense) anything can happen, but, think about all the people traveling around the world every day, having a great time. You won't know until you tried, and you don't want to look back and say "Damn, I should have done that.."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do travel out of the country a lot and usually it's with two kids in tow. I think it was the whole aspect of "adventure travel" that made this person look at me with skepticism. Ha. (She's in my Monday night Pilates class and always looks at me like she thinks I'm about to break in half.)

    No worries. I intend to go. I have all the information and am looking at the different companies. I am excited by the idea.

    I admit that my husband was the one who turned me on to the concept of adventure travel. Before him, I thought getting sunburned or not having my cocktail delivered to my beach chair equaled adventure travel. LOL. And after Sean died, I wondered if I would have the 'guts' to go it alone to all of those places that remain on my list. Well, I DO have the guts to go it alone...it has just taken me a few years to realize it.

    SLT--close calls in Denver? I suppose I can see that. I mean, I did see that scary black fox in my driveway a few weeks ago yet lived to tell the tale. Ha.

    No, I never want to be the one who says, "damn, I should have done that." What a tragedy that would be.

    Thank you all for your lovely comments. I love it. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete