About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Sunday, December 13, 2009

It's All Just Semantics!

My grandmother always said it was poor manners to discuss money, politics or religion.  Well, I'm going to ignore grandma's advice...just this once.  I am sure she would let this one slide.

Lately there has been a lot of discussion about President Obama declaring "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas" on his family's card.  I think that in a world with so many problems such as Afghanistan, our economy, Darfur, terrorism, and Iraq (just to name a few) that we should have more important problems to discuss.  But no...there is a segment of the population that insists on harboring a grudge over the word holiday.

First of all, Christianity is not the only faith in the United States.  According the 2002 US Census, the majority of Americans do classify themselves as Christian, but there is also a large percentage that identify themselves as Jewish, Agnostic, Buddahist, and other.

People of all faiths populate this nation.  Why then should our president cater to only the top two most popular faiths?  President Obama is the leader of all Americans.  His declaration of "Happy Holidays" is not a slap at Christianity.

Some people thrive on conflict and seeing conspiracy behind every word.  Such is their right as an American.  Go ahead.  Get your panties in a bunch, but leave me alone.  I choose tolerance and peace over constant battling over semantics.

As a Christian, it is not my place to discriminate against people of other faiths.  I honor my Jewish friends as they celebrate Hanukkah.  I respect people for who they are, not what holiday they are recognizing this December.

This is a season of peace and joy.  This is a season to pray for an end to the war and for the safety of our soldiers.  This is a season to remember those who do not have the freedoms that we do in the United States and hope for their future.  This is a season to remember all the people who have lost their homes and jobs over the past several years and to pray that their lives are blessed with a turn in fortune. This is a season for compassion and acceptance.

Words are powerful, this is true.  So let us use our words for a higher purpose than to argue over what is better, Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas.  It is all just semantics.  Embrace the sentiment.  As we Christians prepare to celebrate birth of Christ, let's remember that Jesus loved all people, that he preached of peace and acceptance, and try to emulate those qualities ourselves.

Peace and love to all of you.  I wish you all a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, and  Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment