About Moxie Girl Musings

Moxie Girl Musings is about starting over from square one after tragedy impacted my young family. It's filled with stories of triumph, struggle, snafus, hopes, and dreams. Sometimes there will be features from other writers that I like and every so often I'll include an original short story, but normally I simply write what's on my mind at the time. Welcome to my unfiltered true-life story as I figure out this thing called life. http://www.amberleaeaston.com

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Year of Gratitude

As Thanksgiving Day rolls around, I am reflecting upon my"year of gratitude" and hope that my musings lead you to think of your own.  Imagine us sitting around a large table loaded down with turkey, stuffing, casseroles and pie. And let's not forget the wine before we go around the table for our "what we are thankful for" declaration...I'll go first.

I began my year with a freak household accident that gave me my third concussion.  I couldn't walk straight, slurred my speech, had vision issues and experienced blinding headaches.  Good friends once again showed up to drive my kids to their practices, to tease me about my "dizziness" and to make sure I knew I wasn't alone.  The gratitude for people who "show up" without being asked is immense.

In February,  I reconnected with an old boyfriend from 24 years ago--yeah, I'm getting old, I know.  Facebook reunited us, even though I almost ignored him (and sometimes think I should have).  But after all is said and done, I am grateful that I allowed him back into my life.  Knowing him again--even briefly--unlocked my heart.

March meant passport renewal...another ending, another closing of a chapter.  The stamps in my old passport represented more than places visited; it represented a life lived with my deceased husband.  Getting that new passport in the mail, though, renewed my sense of possibilities. I was grateful for the clean slate.  As the Dr. Seuss book says, "Oh, the places you'll go"!

April, my birthday month, brought to the forefront of my mind how lucky I am to be healthy.  I know too many people my age who are dealing with heart problems, cancer or other grave illnesses.  I am grateful to be healthy...a little banged up and still trying to shed a few pounds...but overall I am healthy.

When I think of May, I remember an insanely busy schedule.  Lacrosse, swim team, work, friends, and staining my deck.  Thank God I have a deck to stain, healthy kids who can run and swim, creativity that won't let a concussion stop it, and places to be.

I spent two weeks in June in my home state of South Dakota.  I found myself cramming too many people and events into my schedule.  The result was...well, not so good...but I am grateful that I have a problem of too many people in my life that I love and enjoy.

The kids and I traveled to San Jose, California in July.  I love traveling with my children, especially when we're visiting wonderful friends and experiencing new things.  It is incredibly gratifying to watch my children discover a new place.  It's like I am seeing it all again through fresh eyes.

By the time August rolled around I was simply thankful that the kids were returning to school!

Quite honestly, I got down on myself, my writing and my life in general in September.  Thanks to Kasey, a good friend and salon owner, I shook the cobwebs from my brain and took her advice.  I started this blog, ventured into the world of social media marketing, and injected some much needed mojo back into my life.  Shout out to Kasey!

Wow, did I get sick in October.  Influenza led to pneumonia. Thankfully, my parents drove out to Colorado from South Dakota to help with the kids because I could barely get out of bed.  I am eternally grateful that my parents are healthy enough to travel and are active grandparents.

Here it is in November.  My productivity is in overdrive.  I am writing, resurfacing the cabinets in my house, painting walls, preparing for my brother's visit and getting healthier every day.  I am grateful that I have the energy to get it all done.

Gratitude is a way of life.  I try to think about what I am grateful for every day, but admittedly there are days when that's a challenge.  I know there are a hundred things I could have listed, a hundred people who have touched my life in ways they can't imagine, and a hundred ways I have grown because of each of them.

I lift my glass in a toast.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!


2 comments:

  1. You've had a full year for sure, Moxie Girl, especially when seeing it laid out as you have done. I had a defining moment the day before Thanksgiving with a terrible accident with a hand at 1 am in the morning - blood flow was immense and took a good 10+ minutes to get control back. It has since changed my plans abruptly, and will for another 4-6 weeks, but in life we always need to expect the unexpected. The healing is forcing me to sleep a lot, something I never allow myself to do normally, not to mention eating well as in healthy, so in a way it is forcing me to also rejuvenate myself. It's about time, but it's just too bad that it took an accident to finally get back on track! I am grateful for pretty much everything; am a happy, laid back camper when it comes down to it. I am grateful to you for the sharing of your own journey through life. You rock! And the best is yet to come for you!!
    -slt

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH NO! I am so sorry to hear about the accident, that sounds absolutely horrific. Blood...ick. I wish you a speedy recovery, SLT. I sincerely hope you recover fully. REST!

    I am grateful for your kind words and support. What would I do without your comments? I love them. Peace to you. XXOO!

    ReplyDelete